Saturday, November 24, 2007

I am a green muslim because...

I feel closest to my Creator when immersed in nature. Sitting at the ocean's shore or standing at the edge of a mountain peak or listening to the birds that praise Allah in early hours of the day, these all remind you of the majesty of Allah.

I believe that we have an amanah (trust, responsibility) to protect and to serve all of creation.

I love the stories from the seerah that speak of the love of creation for the Prophet (sallallahu 'alayhi wa sallam, may the peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) and the love of the Prophet for all of creation. Seeing a tree reminds me of the tree that stood, supporting the roof of the masjid of the Nabi, and cried out when the Prophet (sas) neglected to put his hand on it when giving his sermon, standing on the minbar instead.

I believe policy decisions are made with an underlying value paradigm. And that some of our current values need to be re-aligned to protect the environment and improve the quality of life for the most vulnerable.

I am a green muslim because I want to create positive change within my community. As Muslims, we should be asking ourselves - what is our responsibility as caretakers (khalifa) of the earth? How can our care and concern for creation (including humans) transform our relationship with each other and with our Creator? How are our values the same or different from the dominant paradigm and how can this change our situation? We need to start a dialog within our community about the environment and related issues - sustainability, development, conservation, justice, equality, etc. This blog and this group, I hope, is the first step insha'Allah (God willing).

"Be careful about this Earth because she is your mother. Be careful about your mother because she will complain about [the oppression of her] by all of you."

No comments: