Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What are you doing for Earth Day?

Heralded as the birth of the "modern environmental movement," Earth Day is a worldwide event to promote good environmental citizenship and encourage action to sustain a healthy planet.

DC Green Muslims, I'd like to encourage YOU to take this time to renew your commitment to creating more sustainable and eco-conscious (and thereby, insha'Allah, a more God-conscious) existence. Think of it as your "Environmental New Years" resolution. Make a pledge - for the month or a year or however long - to change something about your relationship to the earth and its natural resources.

Some (random) suggestions to get you started:
  1. Act: call your senator or representative and tell them to enact fair and immediate action on global warming.
  2. Grow: plant something. This is part of my pledge - I'm attempting to grow my own herb garden (indoors), with some Michael Pollan for inspiration. If you're doing something outside, consult local botantists, tree planting organizations, or biologists to know what plants are best for your area.
  3. Organize: plan an outdoor activity because nature inspires us.
  4. Recycle: Dispose of hazardous wastes properly: find recycling centers in your area here. You can drop off old batteries at My Organic Market locations (College Park and Alexandria, among others).
  5. Reduce: Limit the use of disposable products - paper plates, cups, napkins, take out containers. (The second part of my pledge.) And watch the Human Footprint for a visual representation of an average American's lifetime consumption (trailer).
  6. Connect: Tell a friend about your pledge and encourage them to make a change in their lives.
Let us know in the comments what you plan to do. Click here for a listing of Earth Day events in the area.

Everyday is Earth Day

3 comments:

Sajid said...

For those of us who bring lunch to work/school: if you brown bag it, why not spend the $4 or $5 to get a reusable lunch bag (or a small tote for the fashion concious). You save paper AND money.

Personally, I think I may try and dig up my He-Man or G.I. Joe lunch box from 2nd grade. I'll be the envy of the office.

Mohamad A. Chakaki said...

i've been thinking about the power of our minds recently. the whole notion of “mind over matter.” we often repeat that phrase, but what does it truly mean?

can we affect matter with our mind? can what we imagine actually change the physical world around us? the answer is yes. our thoughts affect our bodies, communities and environment.

our modern environmental crisis is one of mindset. a crisis of faith or of the spirit. all of that basically means the same thing. the world is out of balance b/c we are. spiritually, psychologically and socially.

so my earth day resolution is to think different. to imagine myself as whole, complete, centered and in balance. and to act upon that image. knowing, deeply, that the world around me will actually physically change to reflect this. insha’Allah!

please join me.

salaam :)
mohamad

Sanjana said...

This is something I've been thinking about as well - do our actions actually make a difference?

No Impact Man reflects on the issue (here): "So sometimes, the question of whether we can make a difference or not may be the wrong question. I think another line of inquiry might just as productively go like this: Do I want to be the kind of person who tries or the kind of person who doesn't?"

At the end of the day, I think we all want to be the ones that try, God willing.