Monday, October 19, 2009

Day 1 - Consumption

The No-Impact guide

http://noimpactproject.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/No-Impact-Experiment-How-To-Manual1.pdf

Please use the additional information below to give you an Islamic perspective to help you through your eco-conscious journey this week which hopefully will be a stepping stone to a life long journey incorporating the eco-spiritual ethics of the Qur'an and Sunnah.


General Tips

Needs, Not Wants
Distinguish needs from wants, and act upon it.

Budget
Budget so as to identify exactly where do your resources go.

Avoid Luxury Spending
Identify the luxuries that have become commonplace. Take steps so as to wean yourself off of them.


Know what you’re buying
Develop a more intimate relationship with what you consume, and avoid blind consumption.

Aftermath
Understand the aftermath effect of your spending of money. Does this company use its finances responsibly? Does it undergo in ecologically unsustainable, or simply unethical, actions?

Islamic Inspiration

“And those on the left hand, how unfortunate will be those on the left hand. In fierce hot wind and scalding water, and under the shadow of black smoke that provides no coolness or comfort. Verily, before this they used to live in luxury.”
(56: 40-46)

“Give the kinsman, the poor, and the wayfarer their due, but do not spend wastefully. Verily, the spendthrifts are the brethren of the devils and Satan is ever ungrateful to his Lord.”
(17: 26-27)


“Eat and drink, but do not be extravagant. Verily, Allah does not love extravagant people.”
(7: 31)

“Do not make your hand as if it is tied to your neck nor extend it to its utmost reach so that you become blameworthy and in severe poverty.”
(17: 29)

Please leave comments about what you did to become more aware and/or lessen your consumption today, all week, and implemented into your daily practice.

12 comments:

Sarah said...

not using any plastic/paper cups at work for tea...and trying to be extra vigilant of every piece of waste and trying to find ways to be zero waste. (i.e. recycling, composting etc)

TheOne said...

brought back my ceramic mug after Ramadan today, ah.

Umm Amirah said...

Eating what's in the fridge.
Bringing my lunch and NOT buying food near my job. Although tempting its a WANT and not a need.

Feeding the birds old bread.

Nouf said...

Its around lunch time and im super super exciited.

So far just going through my email this morning has been an interesting experience. I received about 3 or 4 emails from different stores or online shopping sites telling me all about their monumental, earth shattering sale that ends soon soon soon so I must buy right away!

Even if its 20% off, I dont neeed it no matter how much you try and convince me that I do...

Munjed said...

Brought my own fork to work.. Not purchasing a chocolate bar after lunch (quite the struggle!).. Let's see what's in store for the rest of the day..

Adam Sitte said...

realized i accidentally put some nuts in a plastic bag for lunch, but then realized i can reuse the bag for painting material.

Sarah said...

today I went to 5 Guys. I was able to enjoy a delicious cheeseburger. However i could not finish the french fries (they gave a bag full). So in order to not be wasteful, i shared them. Then when no one else wanted them, i put them in a compost pile.

rizwaan said...

Decided to plug the bathtub today while I showered to measure how much water I used. I'll try to lower that this week as I keep on pluggin'.

Also, to use less electricity and more natural light, I'm gonna actually try to rise when the sun does. So, I'm going to bed nowish...

sarsoorti said...

I failed today. As I sat there posting up the "Day 1" Material to this blog, I flipped over a tab and purchased a brand spankin' new computer. Not only did I not even think twice about making this purchase, I bought it at almost the exact moment that I posted about thinking twice about making any sort of purchase. Epic Fail

This actually got me thinking about how disconnected I am with different types of consumption. Sure, I didn't go out of my way to the closest Best Buy and actually pick and choose it out physically, but it is no less consumption when you type in your credit card online and await its arrival in the mail.

I'll do better next time, inshallah.

-Sarrah

p.s. I just want to put on the record that I've been using a computer that's been held together by a c-clamp for the last year. It finally bit the dust and won't turn on any more...so I thought it was the appropriate time to maybe get a new one. Don't judge me.

Ibrahim said...

A mixed bag for day 1 - no great strides, but avoided getting my items bagged at lunch, and lunch was only simple, relatively local, seasonal (baked bread, pennsylvania apple) - and reduced my gum consumption.

I work in an office where the use of paper for drafts and editing and correspondence is a little overwhelming, and it's there - printing on the shared duplex machine down the hall as opposed to the single-sided machine right next to my desk - that I feel like I made probably the most effective change in my behavior moving forward.

Munjed said...

haha, Sarrah, if your computer was being held by c-clamp and finally bit the dust, i think you have good enough reason to get a new one.. no worries!

as for my day yesterday.. i acutally didn't end up buying any chocolates for myself (which is a huge step for me!)... though i did take some free chocolates, so i think i failed in that regard..

Well, No Impact's a cumulative thing, so i have 6 more days this week to keep on trying and i hope i'll do better!

Another Sarah said...

i reallllly wanted these two pairs of shoes i saw online, but what i've started doing is leaving up the internet tabs of things i want to buy for at least 24-48 hours before i make a final decision. after brewing in my head for a while, the decision becomes less emotional, more logical, and i realize that i don't really want those shoes.

they were beautiful, but the heel bugged me. at first emotional part of me told me to buy them anyway because i would get used to the heel, but a day later the logical part of me knew that i wouldn't get over the heel, so instead i'm holding out for a shoe that more closely matches what i want so that i'll actually make the best use of them instead of letting them waste away in my closet.