Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 2 - FOOD

Welcome to day 2 of No Impact Week, Tuesday Oct 20th! I hope everyone's first day has went well. The second day is all about the ways in which we eat and drink and use food.

Please use the information below in addition to the No Impact Project's Manual (alongside the DC Green Muslims No Impact Manual), to give you an Islamic perspective to help you through your eco-conscious journey this week which hopefully will be a stepping stone to a life long journey incorporating the eco-spiritual ethics of the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Remember each day builds upon the previous one, so keep up what you have been doing today and add to it with what you do tomorrow as well.

General Tips
  • Eat Local Food: How many miles did it take for your food to come to you? Reduce your carbon‐footprint by reducing your food‐miles and eating locally. Imported perishable foods are especially bad for the environment considering that they have to be refrigerated along the way as well.
  • Eat Organic: The more it’s organic, the better it is for both your body & the environment.
  • Eat Completely Halal: Eat something that’s both raised & slaughtered in a Halal manner. In other words, in addition to finding (for example) meat that is slaughtered Halal, find something that is simultaneously raised in a cruelty‐free manner. Examples of completely Halal meat‐providers are Green Zabihah and Sumayyah’s Peaceful Poultry (see notes below).
  • Don’t Eat in Excess: Create a balance in your diet that does not take more than what you need from nature. It’s better for both your body & the environment well.
Islamic Inspiration:

O Children of Adam! wear your beautiful apparel at every time
and place of prayer: eat and drink: But waste not by excess, for
Allah loveth not the wasters. (31:5)

O ye people! Eat of what is on earth, Lawful and good; and do
not follow the footsteps of the evil one, for he is to you an
avowed enemy. (2:168)

Thus, partake of the lawful, good things which God grants you as
sustenance, and be conscious of God, in whom you believe.
(5:88)

On the authority of Al‐Miqdaam ibn Maadiy‐Karib who said: I
heard the Messenger of Allah saying: "No human ever filled a
vessel worse than the stomach. Sufficient for any son of Adam
are some morsels to keep his back straight. But if it must be, then
one third for his food, one third for his drink and one third for his
breath."

“Eat and drink, but do not be extravagant. Verily, Allah does not love extravagant people.” (7: 31)

Dont forget to relate your experiences and thoughts and comment on the appropriate days blog post at our blog, dcgreenmuslims.blogspot.com, for a chance to win organic soaps from Mosaic Soaps (http://mosaic.azam.org/)

Notes:
Green Zabiha: http://www.greenzabiha.com
Sumayah’s Peaceful Poultry: http://www.peacefulpoultry.com

8 comments:

Sarah said...

a dinner is planned with friends at a restaurant that only provides plastic utensils and plates...i am going to take my utensils...explaining this to the restaurant should be really interesting!

sarsoorti said...

Brought a salad from home, (ingredients bought at local farmers market this past weekend), re-used my plastic fork from yesterday, drank my office coffee out of a reusable cup, didn't put in the individually-wrapped creamer to avoid the waste, having an all around successful day!

Strom.ryan said...

Had some apples (which were picked locally) for lunch, also made sure to not buy any bottle juices for second day in a row (even though bottle would be recycled, to reduce waste). Going grocery shopping later, going to make sure to not buy produce that is out of season or from far away and try the best I can to make other good decisions!

Nouf said...

Today did not go in any way like I thought it would. I always thought that I ate very low impact- avoid processed food, eat mostly fruits and veggies (usually organic) and the only meat I eat is green zabiha meat or peaceful poultry every so often. I've also been super super busy lately (working overtime, came back from out of town, etc) so I did nothing special to prepare for today.

As a result, all day I learned over and over again that while I thought I ate pretty low-impact...thats not really the case. Also eating healthy doesnt necessarily mean your being low-impact. There is a lot more that goes into account as far as where the food was from, how it was packaged..basically everything that it went through to get to my plate today.

I think that the biggest lesson of the day though is that eating low-impact takes planning and its not something you can just wake up and all of a sudden "do." I used to get all my fruits and veggies from a CSA but had to cancel because my roomies and I couldnt make the pick-up times since we worked such long hours. I try to eat locally and organic when I can but last night I got home around 8:45 from work and realized I had no food since I had been out of town all weekend. I basically ran to the grocery store and did all my grocery shopping in about 15 minutes. Not really the way to go about it. Eating low-impact and by extension living low-impact takes planning. You have to make sacrifices and make the intention ahead of time and you need to align your life accordingly. Often times this can mean going against a lot of the norms right now prevalent in our consumer-driven society but its just something you have to do- without excuses.

I think that we need to be honest with ourselves about the changes that will be required. When we eat/live low-impact, I truly believe that we can live healthier, more meaningful lives that are more aligned to quran and sunnah. It will take hard work though. Theres a phrase you hear a lot at work "the devil is in the details" and I think it applies here too. Its easy for some of us to give up McDonalds but can we just as easily give up a $14 "organic" gourmet burger if really when we add up all of the components that it took for that burger to get to our plate, the carbon footprint is not much smaller? We all know that the "green" movement can turn into nothing more than some elitist fad if you dont really examine all of these details and I think that we just need to really critically examine the impact of every one of these details.

Munjed said...

definitely with you there, nouf.. thanks for the insight! :)

as for my day, i ddn't have much of a different diet than usual, honestly.. though i must say that i'm not buying any chocolates (which is huge for me!).. though generally i'm trying to apply two new things to my diet: restricting my fish intake to something that supports a more eco-sustainable diet (e.g. only eating dolphin-safe tuna or salmon that's wild Alaskan..), and secondly i'm trying to eat more locally and less of what's imported.. wish me luck, and good luck to you all on your food-related struggles!

Umm Amirah said...

I had leftovers from Sunday's dinner. The meat was zabiha from a DC market. Hadn't thought about utensils. I just use the plastic ones from when we have chineses.....hmmmm

rizwaan said...

I know its small, but I brought home my brown bag that I used to pack lunch, so I can re-use it for another.

Sami said...

Salaam brothers and sisters from Green DC! Jazakum Allahu khayran for this great initiative.

I was thinking that for future "No Impact Weeks" it may be an idea to encourage fasting Monday and Thursday of that week, for those who are able to. This addresses the issues of both consumption and food (must be an organic, locally grown, halal iftar :))

Maybe we can work with masjids to have "No Impact" weeks. Have you seen how much styrofoam we use? Wow!

JAK again,
Maryland Green Muslim